[personal profile] mindabbles
The first ‘National Coming Out Day’ in the US was October 11, 1988, on the one year anniversary of the Second National March for Gay and Lesbian Rights in Washington DC, at which the AIDS Quilt was unfurled. The organizers urged LGBTQ people and allies to come out, stating that it was a matter of life and death. Many nations celebrate Coming Out Day – in the UK, it’s October 12.
 
The theme for this year is ‘Talk About It.’ In celebration of National Coming Out Day, October 11, 2007:
 
 
Title: Three Ways Sirius Black Never Came Out To His Friends And One Way That He Did
Author: [personal profile] mindabbles
Rating: PG-13 overall, mild R for one section
Pairing(s)/character(s): Sirius/Remus, James, Peter, Sirius/Severus
Words: 2,900
Summary: I have something to tell you.
Thank you so much to [profile] lesyeuxverts00 and [profile] sec38 for their lightning-quick beta jobs.
 
 
It Never Happened Like This:
 
On his third pass from the window to the door and back again, Sirius nearly trod upon the spectacular chocolate cake he had nicked from the kitchen and decided it was time to sit down. Less than a minute later he leapt up again when he heard footsteps on the stairs.
“What’s so bloody important?’ James asked. He stepped heavily into the bedroom of the shack, raising eddies of dust that swirled under their footsteps no matter how much time they spent there. James tossed his school-bag down by the fireplace and scanned the spread of food and drink that Sirius had laid on the floor. James lifted one eyebrow and said, “Must be serious.”
For the first time in their friendship, Sirius lowered his eyes away from James. If he looked too closely, too long, he would tell him now. While he’d certainly thought about it over the summer, considering that James was the one person he should tell first, he hadn’t been able to make the words come out of his mouth – an entirely new experience for Sirius.
James was the one person whose reaction terrified him, something he hated to admit even to himself.
“When the others are here, Prongs,” Sirius said. “Off in one, quick and painless,” he muttered under his breath.
“Off in what?” James asked.
“Nothing,” Sirius said, shoving a Butterbeer in James hand and when the hell did he develop such good hearing?
Tell them all at once, that was his strategy. He was fairly certain of Remus. After all, what was he going to do, reject Sirius for being different? If James saw Remus being good about it, he would pull himself together no matter what was going on in his head. Once Remus and James were in line, Peter would be there for sure.
So why was he more afraid than he’d been in ages?
“’Lo,” Peter called from the stairs. A moment later, he entered the room, looking winded. He was followed closely behind by Remus who offered a little smile of ‘Hello’ and whose eyes brightened at the sight of the feast at his feet.
Remus tossed his bag next to James’ and dropped casually onto the floor in the spot nearest the pumpkin pasties, gracefully folding the long, lanky body that he’d acquired last year and only more recently learned to use without looking like a clumsy Bowtruckle. He didn’t move like a clumsy anything anymore, Sirius thought as he watched Remus shift to stretch his legs out in front of him.
“So, Padfoot,” James said slowly. “Can we eat or is there some poetry or something first?”
“Yeah, what’s the occasion?” Remus asked. “Or should I ask what you’ve done?”
Sirius squared his shoulders and took a deep breath. “I have something to tell you,” he said.
“Who’ve you done in?” Peter asked, reaching for the stack of cauldron cakes.
The words weren’t coming - just like this summer when, every time he tried to tell James, he’d found a blade of grass incredibly interesting or thought of the perfect adventure for first full moon of the school year.
“I’m bent, a poof. I fancy blokes,” he said, forcing himself to look at each of their faces in turn.  They looked remarkably alike – he could see an internal battle between taking the piss because that’s what they did, being kind friends, and curiosity playing out on each of their faces. 
James spoke first, as Sirius knew he would. “Well, that explains your subscriptions to six Quidditch magazines.”
“And the fact that you colour coordinate your socks,” Peter added, with a mock shudder.
Sirius grinned with relief. Taking the piss had won the battle, and that meant everything was fine.
“So, Padfoot," James asked, his tone light and friendly. "When did you realize that you were a flaming poof?"
Glancing from James to Remus and back again, remembering those first glimpses of changing bodies in the shower, those first dreams that left him unsettled and thrilled at the same time, he realized that now may not be the time to answer that question honestly.
 
"Always been one, mate. It just doesn't really matter when you're eleven," Sirius said, telling a different version of the truth. He reclined on the floor and basked in the relief and acceptance he felt in the air. "When did you realize you were an uptight heterosexual?"
 
"Never gave it much thought," James said. Then with a mischievous glint in his eye, he added, "Now that you ask, I suppose when I first met Kitty."
 
"That's perverted," Peter said. "I know exactly when. It was when my Aunt Marjorie was staying with us. She did her wash and hung her knickers on the line."
 
James spit Butterbeer across the blanket. "You call me perverted?"
 
"You didn't see her knickers, mate," Peter said, punctuating his sentence by throwing a bit of pumpkin pasty at James.
 
Remus was paying a great deal of attention to his bacon sandwich. It did, Sirius thought, look like a very good sandwich.
 
"Moony, you've been notably quiet," Sirius said. "When did you first realize that you were straight?"
 
Remus contemplated his sandwich further and then said to it, "Well, as a matter of fact …"
 
 
Or This:
 
Sirius glanced at Remus for the fifth time in as many minutes. An evening of essay-writing, with the occasional break for a trip to the kitchens or a game of Exploding Snap, had stretched out behind them and they'd still said nothing.
 
Finally, Remus caught his eye and a flood of silent communication passed between them. 'Now?' 'You ready?' 'As I'll ever be.' 'What's the worst that can happen?'
 
They both stood and crossed the room as if to the executioner’s, coming to a stop in front of James' bed, where he laid writing and Peter sat at the foot reading. Both looked up, probably expecting another diversion. They’d get one.
 
"We have something to tell you," Sirius said, clearing his throat several times.
 
"You're pregnant," Peter said.
 
"What?" Remus exclaimed, a deep frown creasing his face.
 
"Why the fuck would you say that?" Sirius asked.
 
"Sweet Merlin, calm down," Peter said, raising his hands in front of his chest. "It's just that whenever my parents came into the room with those looks on their faces," he pointed at Remus and Sirius' grave expressions, "and that tone in their voices and announced they had to tell us something, it was another baby. I had a bit of déjà vu, that's all."
 
"Don't worry Wormtail, we're not planning on kids for years yet," said Remus.
 
Sirius glanced at James, who had remained unusually quiet, but gave a derisive snort at Remus' comment. James' recent behavior was the primary reason they'd decided they had to tell their friends. Lately, his comments about 'bloody poofs' this and 'girlie-Slytherins' that, to mention some of the less harsh examples, had been alternately cutting Sirius to his core and making him want to hex James across the school.
 
"What we want to tell you is…" Remus began.
 
"That we're both queer. Well, to be accurate, we are both queer, but I'm gay and Remus is bisexual," Sirius finished, moving closer to Remus.
 
"You're hilarious," James said as he rolled over onto his back and said, "Get on with the pronouncement. I've seven more inches to write."
 
"That was the pronouncement, Prongs," Remus said and Sirius could feel him bracing himself.
 
"Not the whole pronouncement," Sirius said, taking Remus' hand defiantly. "The other part is that we're together." Remus squeezed his hand and they waited.
 
There was no blow-up. There were no hurled expletives or insults. James just turned an alarming shade of red and the look of betrayal and disgust on his face was one that Sirius would remember in his nightmares for the rest of his life.
 
Peter looked nervously between the three of them, his face a picture of shock tinged with a touch of revulsion.
 
James stood and stalked to the door without a word and Sirius held on tightly to Remus’ hand to stop himself from running after James and saying it had been a prank.
 
"Come on, Wormtail," James spat out. "I want the fuck out of their sight." He spoke to Peter, but he looked at Sirius.
 
Then Sirius watched his best friend's, his brother's, back retreat from the room - from him - and heard James mutter, "I can't fucking believe they'd do this to us."
 
"What the fuck’d we do to them?" Remus asked.
 
Sirius sat down on the nearest bed with a thump. “Bugger,” he said when he realized he’d crushed James abandoned essay, and he found that he was crying.
 
 
Or This:
 
Sirius' blood pounded through his body with dizzying force.
 
So close, so close.
 
He took a steadying breath and tried to slow everything down. Not yet, he didn't want either of them to come yet.
 
Fuck yeah. Don't stop.
 
Sirius withdrew his fingers and pulled his mouth back from the hot, searching tongue. They were both panting and moaning so loudly he was certain the third years could hear them even through the thick stone walls.
 
Do it, Black. Just fucking do it.
 
Familiar laughter and chatter on the stairs made Sirius freeze mid-movement as he shifted his lover's body so he could push in, deep and hot. Knowing that the next sound he'd hear was the dormitory door being flung open did not make him any more prepared and he started when it happened, unceremoniously tumbling long limbs and that gorgeous arse to the side of the bed and into the wall.
 
James, with Remus and Peter just behind, were standing in the doorway looking like they'd stumbled across, well, looking like they'd stumbled across Sirius shagging Severus Snape in their room.
 
Sirius brushed back his disheveled hair and scrambled for his clothes. It was no use. His robes were on the windowsill, his vest was hanging off of Remus’ trunk, and his pants were dangling from the light – all where Snape had thrown them earlier.
 
"Not how I’d intended, but been meaning to tell you, I’m gay," Sirius said. He gave them his best smile, the one that had always made his parents friends gush about what a fine young man he was becoming.
 
"But, but, you can't be. I'd know," James spluttered.
 
"Um, given the evidence, Prongs…" Remus said with a shrug.
 
"But, Snivellus? Fucking Snape?" James asked, his faced twisted in a grimace.
 
"I was just getting to that before you lot barged in," Sirius huffed. He pulled a sheet over himself, realizing that perhaps it might ease the tension if he weren't sitting starkers in the middle of the bed.
 
Peter, who was still frozen in his spot, gave a yelp when the sheet draped over Sirius' sticky torso and sounded a touch hysterical as he said, "My bloody bed, Sirius?"
 
"I'll leave you ladies to sort this out, shall I?" Severus drawled. He had somehow managed to pull his robes back on and looked remarkably put-together. "Black? You'll finish what you started later. The usual place."
 
The three Marauders left standing regarded Sirius, who tried his best to look dignified, despite being tousled and red-faced and naked in Peter's bed.
 
Sirius could see that James was struggling to decide if he were more upset that Sirius had never told him or that he was shagging Snape.
 
Peter was eyeing his bed, clearly trying to decide where he'd be sleeping tonight.
 
Remus’ cheeks were stained pink and his eyes seemed unfocused and the fact the he was holding his school bag carefully over his front made Sirius believe that he hadn’t imagined it earlier when Remus had licked his lips and gasped in a way that did not sound like surprise.
 
 
How Sirius Black Actually Did Come Out to His Friends:
 
The toe of a worn brown shoe was just visible, poking out from beneath the staircase. It was the shoe Sirius had been looking for, or rather, it belonged to the person Sirius had searched for from the Astronomy Tower to the Dungeons. Sirius bent over and squinted through the shadows.
 
"Moony?" he asked.
 
Remus turned away quickly and Sirius saw his hands move over his face. He didn't answer and the fact that Remus had run out on fried eggs, bacon, and fresh-baked brown bread directly after reading a letter that a post-owl had dropped in his eggs was worrisome to say the least. What concerned Sirius even more was that he hadn't been able to find Remus for almost thirty minutes. Now to be fair, he didn't have the map anymore, but even without the map he could usually find him in ten.
 
"You all right?" Sirius asked.
 
"'M fine," Remus answered.
 
"And you're a terrible liar," Sirius said, leaning close and nudging Remus' shoulder.
 
"Ow," Remus said as Sirius' nudge banged him into stone wall behind his head. Remus had ensconced himself beneath a set of stairs. It was a staircase that only moved now and again, so it was a slightly safer hiding place than some of the others. They hadn't used it since the incident with Peeves in third year.
 
“You know, I had to finish your breakfast so it wouldn’t go to waste. I’m feeling terribly put-upon,” Sirius said in an affectionate, teasing tone. Remus showing that something got to him was so rare that Sirius was worried. “The least you can do is give me an explanation.”
 
Remus regarded him cautiously and said, "I'm going to tell you something and you have to swear not to tell anyone. Not even James. Not yet anyway."
 
Sirius tried to remember if Remus or Peter had ever asked him to keep something from James. He had to think for a moment if he could really do that, and then he looked at Remus’ face.
 
Sirius nodded and said, “I solemnly swear.”
 
"I was seeing someone over the summer,” Remus said hesitantly, his voice still thick with emotion. “You don’t know him. He was a good bit older, finished school three years ago. Anyway, that letter, he dumped me."
 
"Well, he's clearly a first-rate prick and a complete imbecile," Sirius said. The words just flew out of his mouth without a single thought. He knew he’d found the right thing to say by the surprised and amused expression on Remus’ face.
 
“That’s it? You’re not going give me a hard time about him being a him?” Remus asked, the disbelief clear in his voice.
 
“That’d be a bit hypocritical, seeing as I fancy blokes as well,” Sirius said evenly. Remus looked as astonished as Sirius felt to hear that come out of his mouth.
 
The only other person Sirius had told was James and, of course, the handful of blokes he’s mucked about with over the summer. Somehow, telling Remus just seemed natural.
 
“You’re joking,” Remus said. “You must be joking,” he repeated, shaking his head as the horrible look of misery began to creep back onto his face.
 
In for a Knut, in for a Galleon, Sirius thought and he said, "Would it make you feel better if I told you that I fancied you?"
 
"It would make me feel very nervous if you told me you fancied me," Remus said, his tone making it clear that he still thought Sirius fooling with him.
 
"Moony, that's cruel," Sirius huffed in a dramatic display of distress. "I bare my soul, throw myself at you, and what do I get? Insults."
 
"Shut up, Padfoot," Remus groaned. “You’ve cheered me up. Leave it now, okay?”
 
"You don't believe me? Just ask James. I do fancy you. Have done since third year. It was right here that I realized it, actually,” he said, gesturing at the dusty, cramped space into which they had crammed themselves. It was much smaller than when they were thirteen.
 
“I figured any bloke who could piss off a ghost that much had to be the one for me." Sirius was shocked at how calm he felt. And really, no matter Remus’ ultimate reaction to Sirius’ confession, it had taken his mind off being dumped and he was smiling again.
 
“You told James?” Remus asked. “I mean that you like blokes and that you fancy me?”
 
“I told him the first bit and he guessed the second. Says you must be bloody oblivious not to notice, ‘though I’ve no idea what he’s talking about as I’m always the height of cool. Peter knows too, was the first to know, I think. I didn’t tell him anything. He’s a frightening little rat that way, in’t he?”
 
“I noticed,” Remus said, finally looking Sirius in the eye. “I just always put it down to wishful thinking.”
 
Sirius felt the rush of words that had been flowing from his mouth for ten minutes stop - more than stop, cease. He couldn’t tear his eyes from Remus’, nor did he want to.
 
“Oh,” Sirius said softly and he felt Remus’ hand lightly touch his cheek.
 
Sirius leaned into the caress and turned his head to place a tentative first kiss on Remus’ palm. Remus closed his eyes and smiled and Sirius’ chest tingled.
 
“So, you over that bloke now?” Sirius asked.
 
“Which bloke?” Remus answered and Sirius laughed gleefully until Remus stopped him with a kiss.
 
When Sirius pulled back, he had more comfortable places in mind - where they could stretch their legs and explore this new thing without dust bunnies in their noses or fear of nifflers nibbling their toes.
 
“Now that you’re all sorted and deliriously happy, can we get out from under this asthmatic stair?” Sirius asked, starting to stand.
He felt Remus’ fingers close warm and firm around his wrist and he shivered as Remus said, in a tone he’d never heard before, “I was thinking we might stay.”
Page 1 of 2 << [1] [2] >>

Date: 2007-10-11 07:46 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vicious-lullaby.livejournal.com
...and you have rendered me incoherent. ♥♥♥

This is beautiful. Your writing style and your captures of the characters is wonderful, and guh the last line. ♥ It's all perfect.

This is definitely going in my memories~.

Date: 2007-10-11 04:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank You!! What a lovely comment. I'm really pleased you liked the style. I'm tickled that you want it in your memories! :)

Date: 2007-10-11 08:07 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] neverreal.livejournal.com
That was lovely.
The way it actually happened was the best, of course.

Date: 2007-10-11 04:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thanks! I'm so glad you liked it and that the one I chose as the 'real' way seemed best.

Date: 2007-10-11 08:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] frailtyoffaith.livejournal.com
Hey, really wonderful job. I concur with vicious_lullaby: truly special writing style. You have a terrific grasp on their personalities, too. Which is especially important and impressive in Marauder fics, given how little we've seen of them as teenagers in canon.

And, it was interesting to see what would've happened if James and/or Peter hadn't been accepting of homosexuality. I'd honestly never considered that possibility. But it made for a gripping perspective, and enhanced the sweetness of the real way it was all revealed and taken. *sighs happily*

I hope to see more from you soon. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 04:23 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thanks so much. It makes me grin that you liked the writing style. Thanks also for saying you liked their personalities - I love them quite a bit, so I'm glad you did! :D. I figure that an unsupportive reaction is commonplace for most people in coming out, so, while I like to spare Sirius any unnecessary pain, I wanted to add that realism. Thanks for the lovely comment!

Date: 2007-10-11 08:24 am (UTC)
ext_77335: (Default)
From: [identity profile] iamshadow.livejournal.com
This is EXCELLENT.

I love the different alternatives. Reminds me of the movie Clue. It's a great device, and you pulled it off really well.

Bravo!

Date: 2007-10-11 04:25 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you so very much! I like the 'Clue' comparison and I'm happy that it worked.

still love your icon!

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] iamshadow.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-12 02:48 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-12 03:49 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2007-10-11 09:06 am (UTC)
ext_27009: (Default)
From: [identity profile] libgirl.livejournal.com
Beautiful work!

This was lovely and lyrical and I liked how you turned the stereotypes on their head and gave us Sirius shagging Severus instead of Remus as one of the ways. Very fun!

Great work, thanks for sharing!

Date: 2007-10-11 04:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you so much! I'm glad the Severus piece worked for you - never written that before. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 09:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lilithofdaemons.livejournal.com
There is something very beautiful about the way Sirius DID come out. Almost bitersweet. The way you deal with the alternative methods of Sirius' outing is brilliant. My favorite one would have to be the one where James is homophobic. Most fiction seems to forget that these are teenage boys growing up in a VERY shelterd society (I mean supposedly Harry, Hermione and Ron were all virgins at almost eighteen) in the seventies. That does not equate automatic acceptance.

And Sirius and Snape...dkfjhakhfklahflahfla killed me dead

Date: 2007-10-11 07:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Oh, thank you! I'm really glad you liked the different perspectives. I was almost afraid that the one where James walks out was too harsh - realistic, yes, but harsh. I'm so pleased that it worked. Happy to kill you dead! :)

Date: 2007-10-11 09:46 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] likecharity.livejournal.com
Amazing amazing amazing. ♥

I adore your writing style. Very realistic (the possibility of James being homophobic, for example) and the characterisation was perfect. And it actually made me giggle at a few points, too. :D

Adding to memories.

Date: 2007-10-11 07:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you!!!! How lovely to say you liked the writing style. I'm really pleased that the characterisations worked and it's always good to giggle!

Date: 2007-10-11 12:23 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] colourlesshade.livejournal.com
This was lovely. You've given Sirius a really believable voice and Remus was great in all four scenarios, although I got an especially big smile out of him flustered and strategically holding his school bag in the third one. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 08:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you so much!I'm so happy that Sirius' voice came across. Poor Remus, it was an uncomfortable moment. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 12:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vwl.livejournal.com
One word as I am frighteningly incoherent at this ungodly hour of the morning: awwwwwwwwwwww.

Much love. I look forward to more. :3

Date: 2007-10-11 08:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Good morning! What a nice thing to say. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 12:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] b-c-draygon.livejournal.com
Oh, that was lovely. I ... I've been rendered speechless. I love how you built up his coming out as something big and dramatic in the first three, and in the last episode - the actual episode - it was so much quieter. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 2007-10-11 08:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Aw, thank you! What an absolutely lovely comment. I'm so happy that you mentioned that the first three were dramatic and the last was simpler - that is exactly what I was going for. THANKS!!

Date: 2007-10-11 12:49 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] interrobanging.livejournal.com
Lovely work!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the ways it DIDN'T happen, because you explored some great possibilities there (I LOVED "Moony, you've been notably quiet," Sirius said. "When did you first realize that you were straight?" Remus contemplated his sandwich further and then said to it, "Well, as a matter of fact …").

And the last bit was so sweet and the ending line was so perfect. ♥

Date: 2007-10-11 09:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thanks so much! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed it and thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 01:39 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] citrus-scented.livejournal.com
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Cute, plausible, fluffy, just what I needed to start the day.

Bravo.

Date: 2007-10-11 09:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! What a lovely list of adjectives!

Date: 2007-10-11 02:31 pm (UTC)
such_heights: amy and rory looking at a pile of post (Default)
From: [personal profile] such_heights
Eeee! Oh, that's cheered me up nicely from this sodding cold. ♥

Date: 2007-10-11 09:16 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you! I love that it cheered you up.

Sorry you're not feeling better. Have some tea and a warm blanket.

Date: 2007-10-11 03:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] phey-nix.livejournal.com
That was amazing... and very scary - how did you keep them all in character in so many situations...

Oh and Snape's cameo - genius!!!

Date: 2007-10-11 10:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it and found the characters consistent throughout. That made me smile!

Date: 2007-10-11 03:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] brighty18.livejournal.com
Oh, this is just beautiful! Do you have any idea how happy reading this has made me? This just made me grin like an idiot:
"Well, he's clearly a first-rate prick and a complete imbecile," Sirius said. The words just flew out of his mouth without a single thought. He knew he’d found the right thing to say by the surprised and amused expression on Remus’ face."

I enjoyed the structure of this, the three ways vs. one way. (And am VERY glad it was not #3... Snape?) Very unique and clever and your characters feel very "true." VERY well done and well-written and, well, overall lovely!

Date: 2007-10-11 10:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you! Do you have any idea how happy your lovely comment made me? I'm really glad that the structure worked. Yeah, Snape, never written that before. But well, he ended up in the right place. :) Thanks again.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] brighty18.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-11 10:14 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-11 11:37 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] brighty18.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-12 01:51 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-12 04:02 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] brighty18.livejournal.com - Date: 2007-10-12 04:49 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2007-10-11 10:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thanks!

omg, I'm glad my son is not here to see your icon!!! LOL.

Date: 2007-10-11 04:19 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] marauderthesn.livejournal.com
I really like this; the contrast between the three non-ways and the way it actually happened is a large part of what makes it good. Nice job! :D

Date: 2007-10-11 10:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you very much! I was trying for a real contrast in mood, I'm glad that came across. Thanks for saying so.

Date: 2007-10-11 04:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lotrwariorgodss.livejournal.com
I'm struggling to hold in my "Awwwww" at that ending, lol. This was so perfect for them, and you wrote it all so well. My favorite would have to be the Snape one just because it's so Sirius (Remus's reaction at the end is also priceless). And, though I don't think James would be such an ass, it was good to be reminded (especially on "Coming Out Day") the kinds of fears and hatred that some people have to endure just to be themselves. Wonderful story!

Date: 2007-10-11 10:30 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Hee! Thank you! I'm so glad you liked the ending. I'm happy you liked the Snape one, I've not written him before, so I am glad it worked. Yeah, my personal canon includes James being a much better friend, but I thought I would explore that possibility. Thank you! :)

Date: 2007-10-11 05:08 pm (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
Great story! One small thing--Remus should be holding his bag in front of his crotch, not his crouch.

Date: 2007-10-11 07:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you! Thanks for pointing that out - I was going for a Britishism there. Checking into it a bit, it looks as if that's more a pronunciation than a spelling, and 'crutch' or 'crotch' would be the spelling since it's not in dialog. I ended up doing something else entirely b/c I think those are ugly-looking words. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 06:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] trolliepop.livejournal.com
Sirius leaned into the caress and turned his head to place a tentative first kiss on Remus’ palm.

OMG. I died. That totally made my day. ♥

Date: 2007-10-11 10:32 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Oh, thank you so very much!!!! I'm really happy to make your day. :D

Date: 2007-10-11 06:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] werewolf-lib.livejournal.com
How awesome was this?
I was scarfing down a piece of coconut-lemon cake while reading and this story is at least ten times more awesome than the cake(and I would fight my own sister over this cake).

"You're pregnant," Peter said.

That line and the lines after it almost lead to an extremely undignified Death by Choking on Cake.

Date: 2007-10-11 10:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you, thank you! Better than coconut-lemon cake???? No one has ever said that to me before. Please don't choke - here have some tea. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 06:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kyasuriin.livejournal.com

aww, lovely. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 10:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
awww, thank you! :)

Date: 2007-10-11 07:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] therandomgirlie.livejournal.com
You have succeeded in filling my head with dirty thoughts...
Lovely writing - the three first takes are all different, but I love them all! (Even though James and Peter are bastards in the 2nd one)
Thank you for sharing!

Date: 2007-10-12 04:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Who me?

Thank you! I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. It was hard to make James a bastard, but I wanted the contrast. Thanks for commenting. :)

Date: 2007-10-11 09:28 pm (UTC)
ext_17713: sun and clouds and the illusion of wings. (Default)
From: [identity profile] elsane.livejournal.com
oh, Min, this is wonderful! Funny and thoughtful and nicely characterized. I love how we go through three big dramatic announcements to something more understated and personal. You have some absolutely wonderful lines in here, and if I weren't in such a hurry, I'd quote them all back at you and bounce -- just know that I think this is great (:

Date: 2007-10-12 04:17 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you liked it. I really wanted the idea that the dramatic scenarios were possibilities, but that the 'real' one was gentler. I'm glad that worked. THANK YOU!!!! :)

Date: 2007-10-11 09:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elizassecret.livejournal.com
I have to agree with what some others have said -- I like the drama of the first three vignettes leading up to the quiet of the fourth. Lovely!

Date: 2007-10-12 04:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindabbles.livejournal.com
Thank you and thank you for helping me with it. I wanted the real one (yes, I know they're not real) to be the gentle, quiet one. I'm really glad that worked. :)
Page 1 of 2 << [1] [2] >>

Profile

mindabbles: (Default)
mindabbles

October 2020

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11 121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 06:02 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios